On Monday, July 13, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that school districts in New York can follow plans to reopen for in-person schooling in September.
Determinations about opening and closing schools as the COVID-19 pandemic continues will be made based on the state’s micro-cluster strategy in consultation with public health partners. Learn more about how the state’s micro-cluster strategy may impact our programs and schools.
While districts have been instructed to prioritize efforts to return all students to in-person instruction, the Capital Region BOCES (CRB) is also planning for hybrid (a combination of in-class and remote learning) for our CTE programs as well as preparing for remote learning based on specific program requirements that need to accommodate various exemptions that may be provided by students.
The plan outlined here is for the reopening of schools in Capital Region BOCES for the 2020-21 school year, following the building closure related to the COVID-19 pandemic. This plan includes procedures that will be followed in the following schools:
- Albany Career & Technical School, 1015 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12205. 518-862-4800
- Schoharie Career & Technical School, 174 State Route 30A , Schoharie, NY 12157. 518-295-3000
- Maywood School, 1979 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12205
- Airline Drive Academy, 10c Airline Drive, Albany, NY 12205
- Center for Advanced Technology (CAT) at Mohonasen, 400 Warrior Way, Schenectady, NY 12303, 518-356-8200. CAT students and staff members must follow building or district-level safety protocols for this location; however, each student and staff member must screen using the Capital Region BOCES Screening Tool prior to entry to our program.
Students and staff members in programs at all other school-based locations must follow building or district level safety protocols for that location; however, each student and staff member must screen using the Capital Region BOCES Screening Tool prior to entry to our program.
The health and safety of our students, our staff and their families is our top priority. We want students and employees to feel comfortable and safe returning to school campuses. Our reopening plan incorporates recommendations and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
It is possible that we may need to alternate between in-person and remote learning throughout the year due to recommendations and guidance from our partnering agencies, and stay-at-home orders from the governor. The level of infection, the spread of the virus and response to the disease in our community will be at the forefront of our decision making as we move to open our schools.
Joseph P. Dragone, Ph.D., Senior Executive Officer, will serve as Capital Region BOCES’ COVID-19 Coordinator and lead the COVID-19 Oversight Team. He will ensure the district is in compliance with the plan and is following the best practices per state and federal guidelines. However, using a team approach that leverages specific expertise in certain areas of compliance is the best strategy to support the implementation of our reopening plan. That said, the COVID-19 Oversight Team includes members with expertise in the areas of human resources, site safety protocols, educational programming, facilities planning and the coordination of resources, response and reporting with local, county and state agencies.
COVID-19 Oversight Team:
- Joseph P. Dragone, Ph.D., Senior Executive Officer, COVID-19 Coordinator
- Dr. Mark Jones, Deputy District Superintendent and Chief Operating Officer
- Lauren Gemmill, Deputy District Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Carol Ratigan, Director of Human Resources and Health Safety Monitor
- Jennifer Bennett, Director of Management & Administrative Services and Site Safety Monitor
- Tom Mott, Director of Facilities
Every effort has been made to ensure that this plan is accessible to all individuals in accordance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level A/AA. Translation services are also available.