Social and emotional learning (SEL) gives children the tools they need to feel more safe, secure and confident. This helps them grow, mature and become more successful in school and their daily lives.
Here you’ll find school-based resources to support the physical and mental health, behavioral and emotional needs of your child and family.
Take a tour around these virtual Calming Corners, created by Capital Region BOCES School Social Workers Lisa Ash and Jennifer Coso, filled with simple and fun ways to work a little relaxation and calm into your child’s (or your own!) days. Click on the items you see to link to activities to try:
Calming Corner for Older Children/Teens:
Family Emergency Support and Counseling Resources
24/7 Crisis and Mental Health Support
Children, families and adults experiencing emotional and/or behavioral crisis.
- Northern Rivers – 518-292-5499
- Suicide Prevention Hotline – 800-273-8255 or call 911
- NYS COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline – 844-863-9314
Grief Support Services
No cost support is available for grieving children, aged 3-17, who may have experienced the death of a family member or friend due to natural causes, illness, suicide, homicide or accidents.
- Community Hospice – 518-724-0200 or www.HospiceGriefServices.com
24/7 ChildHelp National Child Abuse Hotline
Reach a professional crisis counselor who—through interpreters—provides assistance in over 170 languages 24/7 in the U.S. and Canada. All calls are confidential. Services include crisis intervention, information, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources.
- 800-4-A- CHILD or 800-422-4453 or ChildHelp Hotline Website
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Advocates are available 24/7/365 to talk or text confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.
- 800−799−7233 or Domestic Violence Hotline online
The following resources were compiled by our School Support Team.
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus
- Helping Kids Manage Anxiety Around the Coronavirus
- Talking to Children About Coronavirus: A Parent Resource
- Bereavement and Grief: Coping With Loss
- Talking to Children About Tragedies & Other News Events
- Helping Children Cope with Death, Loss and Grief: Tips for Teachers and Parents
- Considering Stress and Trauma During the COVID-19 Pandemic – Implications for Administrators, Teachers, Parents and Families