More than 100 Adult Practical Nursing (APN) students met recently with healthcare providers seeking to hire skilled workers at a career fair hosted by Capital Region BOCES.
“The industry is in need of workers and we have some fantastic students and future nurses looking for jobs right now, so this was a win-win for everybody,” said Paula Negri, principal of our Health Careers Center.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) is forecast to grow 9% over the next few years.
Adult Practical Nursing student Wilvan Piquero was among those hoping to find a job at the fair.
“My mother, Evangeline, is a role model to me and she is a nurse. I also like to help people out. My goal is to work as an LPN for a while, go to school to become an RN and eventually retire as a school nurse,” Piquero said.
Area Employers Meet Future Nurses
Representatives of 30+ nursing homes, urgent care providers, hospitals and other organizations met at the May 25 event with those who will soon be graduating from our Adult Practical Nursing (APN) program. Among them was Human Resource Director Makenzie Moore with Riverside Center Rehabilitation and Nursing.
“I went to BOCES myself, so this really hits home for me” said Moore. “I know a few people who are currently students. I wanted to be at the [career fair] to help people achieve.”
Thank you to the following organizations who participated in this year’s nursing career fair:
- Accucare Home Health
- Albany Med
- Baptist Health Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Bassett Healthcare
- Capital Cardiology Associates
- Catholic Charities Disabilities Services
- Center for Disability Services
- Center for Family Practice
- City of Albany, Department of Youth and Workforce Services
- Community Care Physicians
- Conifer Park
- Daughters of Sarah
- Ellis Medicine
- Fulton Center
- Hudson Park Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Ingersoll Place Assisted Living
- Kingsway Community
- Marjorie Doyle Rockwell Center
- Marquis Certified Home Care
- Nathan Littauer Hospital
- New York State Department of Labor
- Peregrine Senior Living
- Rensselaer County ARC
- River Ridge Living Center
- Riverside Center Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Saratoga Hospital Medical Group
- Schenectady ARC
- Shaker Place Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- St. Mary’s Healthcare – Amsterdam
- St. Peter’s Health Partners
- Teresian House
- The Addictions Care Center of Albany
- The Grand Healthcare System
- The Home of the Good Shepherd
- Troy Center for Rehab and Nursing
- Van Rensselaer Manor Nursing and Rehab Facility
- Warren, Washington and Albany ARC
- Wellnow Urgent Care
- Whitney Young Health