This service provides a shared transportation director for school districts who can successfully, efficiently and effectively run the schools’ transportation departments. The director will be a BOCES employee and will be responsible for the administration and planning of the bus transportation system for each participating school district.
Districts can anticipate cost savings from efficiencies, shared expertise and the effective use of transportation funds.
The director will:
- have knowledge of New York State Education Law as it pertains to managing public school transportation programs including: reimbursement, minimum student transportation limits, transportation of the handicapped, bus operator training and medical standards for operators.
- have knowledge of New York State Transportation Law as it pertains to driver qualifications, bus operations, traffic and safety requirements and precautions, knowledge of transportation routing and scheduling methods, and knowledge of vehicle repair methods and practices.
- have knowledge of budget preparation and control.
- have the ability to plan, assign and review the work of others.
- have the ability to prepare required state and board reports, including narrative and tabular presentations.
The BOCES staff will be responsible for the administration and planning of the bus transportation services of the participating schools. It will have oversight of all aspects of a public school transportation department including, but not limited to:
- bus maintenance
- inventory control
- DOT inspections
- staff files (19-A)