Level: Elementary, Middle and High School (center or district-based programs)
Recommended Ratio: Elementary, Middle and High School (K-21) 6:1:2
Students in this program:
- have one or more mental health diagnoses.
- may have a significant history of trauma.
- present with significant difficulty with self-regulation.
- demonstrate significant difficulty establishing and maintaining relationships.
- have significant difficulty with adult authority and classroom routines.
- have difficulty with transitions.
- have significant delays in social emotional development.
- may exhibit aggressive and/or explosive behavior.
- struggle academically because of their unavailability for learning due to their mental health needs.
- could be working toward a Regents diploma or Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS).
- require an intensive staff ratio in a highly structured classroom environment.
- require counseling (social worker) per their IEP, Crisis Intervention Team availability, area for de-escalation and mental health support within the community and for their families.