Itinerant teachers to screen and support students.
School districts don’t always have enough students to justify hiring a full-time English as a New Language teacher to screen and teach students.
Yet, children and teens who are learning the English language require dedicated support to acquire, practice and become proficient with new language skills. It’s also a New York state requirement for students identified as English language learners to get screened and receive the necessary supports. Failure to do so puts school districts at risk of being out of compliance with applicable state laws and regulations. Further, gaps in standards-based learning for such students will continue to grow.
Itinerant Teacher Support and Student Screening
We can provide certified itinerant English as a Second Language (TESOL) teachers at the full-time equivalent level that best meets each school district’s unique needs.
Our educators will collaborate with classroom teachers to align supports, screen students and analyze results to determine the most appropriate support plan, provide progress reporting and communicate with district staff and the student’s family.
Our certified teachers can also screen students to determine their level of need. Tools used to assist in the screening process may include the New York State Identification Test for English Language Learners (NYSITELL) and the New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT).
How it Works
- Getting started. Our certified Teachers of English as a Second Language will get started by meeting with the classroom teacher(s) and student(s) to provide screening and analyze results to determine the level of support needs.
- Planning. The itinerant teacher will work directly with the identified students to fulfill their required units of study, per their level, to support their acquisition of the English language and prepare them for the NYS English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT).
- Ongoing communication. The itinerant teacher will communicate and plan with the designated district contact person and directly with the student’s family about the student’s progress.
What to Expect
- Expert partners. Our certified Teachers of English as a Second Language will help school districts meet state requirements to provide essential supports and/or screening for English language learners.
- Dedicated effort and evaluation. We’ll help students develop essential skills for learning to narrow the achievement gap for English language learners and to support academic growth as evidenced by the NYSESLAT.
- Positive outcomes. We’ll help school districts meet requirements for English as a New Language, support academic growth as evidenced by the NYS English as a Second Language Achievement Test and narrow the achievement gap for English language learners.
We can help school districts meet state requirements while helping English language learners grow. Contact us to find out more about securing an itinerant certified teacher at a full-time equivalent (FTE) level that best meets your needs.