Level: Elementary, Middle, and High School (center or district-based programs)
Recommended Ratio: Elementary, Middle, and High School 6:1:2 or 8:1:2
Classrooms are center-based, use the TEACCH methodology and have embedded OT and speech services.
This program is designed for students:
- who are on the Autism Spectrum or have a similar profile.
- who demonstrate difficulty in self-regulation and behavior management.
- who have delays in speech and language, motor development, and social emotional development.
- who may be eligible for the New York State Alternate Assessment (NYSAA).
- who demonstrate difficulty and significant delays in self-care and daily living skills.
- who have significant difficulty generalizing skills from one setting to another.
- who benefit from a highly structured classroom environment with a classroom management plan that is based on positive behavioral strategies.
- who may require a Behavior Improvement Plan (BIP) or an Intensive Crisis Management Plan (ICMP).
- who require explicit instruction in pro-social and academic skills.
- who benefit from frequent pre-sets and changes in activities.
- who require intense speech and language consultation and OT integrated into the classroom.
- who may require support from a school social worker.
- who require Explicit Systematic Direct Instruction (ESDI) in all instructional domains.
Daily data collection and analysis is an integral part of this classroom.