Capital Region BOCES Engagement & Development Services provide customized communications and public relations support to public school districts, BOCES and professional associations across New York. Our award-winning team of PR professionals brings 33 years of school public relations experience and advice to ensure our clients successfully inform and engage with their communities. We aim to define, create, implement and evaluate communications strategies that build credibility and strengthen trust with our clients’ various audiences. Our five guiding commitments of Service, Value, Excellence, Improvement and Leadership support our organization’s mission and purpose.
What you will do:
Our communications specialists serve as strategic advisers to the superintendent of schools and/or BOCES leadership. In this role, you will have the responsibility to provide sound guidance, strategy, writing and support to shape your clients’ internal and external messages.
You’ll do this by:
● Understanding the needs of your clients and supporting their goals through the development and execution of a strategic communications plan.
● Serving as the subject matter expert, working directly with superintendents and other central and building level administrators to understand their communication goals and provide recommendations on how to meet those goals.
● Possessing the critical thinking skills to effectively develop and deliver messaging that reflects and respects honest, transparent communication to maintain credibility, preserve reputation and strengthen trust with various stakeholder groups.
● Using your public relations skills—applying strategy, creativity and knowledge of audience expectations—to develop content that effectively reaches your intended stakeholders and reinforces your clients’ missions.
Why this is a great job:
You will make a difference! As a communications specialist serving school districts and/or BOCES, you will be supported by a team of more than 40 communications specialist colleagues working in similar capacities around the region and state, as well as by a team of graphic artists, web specialists and social media strategists. Your closest team will be a small group of communications and digital content strategists led by your communications manager. You will routinely collaborate with these colleagues, and the larger team, to support other clients and accomplish regional and statewide communications projects and initiatives.
Our shared service model provides our clients with a depth and breadth of communications expertise that no single communications professional could provide alone.
Along with making a difference, you will receive:
● Access to a platinum level, co-pay-based health insurance; Individual or Family options available and BOCES pays 77% of the premium
● Support and resources for high-quality professional development opportunities
● Assignment-based telework opportunities
● Extremely generous paid time off, including 14 paid holidays, four weeks of vacation and an annual bank of sick/personal time
● Membership in a public, pension-based retirement system
What you bring to our team:
● College Degree with 2 to 4 years of experience in modern journalism, public relations and/or strategic communications
● Traineeship positions available for candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree.
● Strong computer literacy (digital platforms) with a solid understanding of how to integrate various communications strategies
● A passion for work that contributes to strengthening the public’s perception of public education
● Excellent customer service skills and an ability to build relationships with various internal and external stakeholders
● A personal drive for continuous learning and a desire to develop your skills as a school public relations professional
Where you can apply:
To apply, click the link below. Once you create your RecruitFront profile, be sure to submit your official application by clicking the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the job posting.
Vacancy Number 2024-125A6 (Location = Mohawk Valley – Oneida County)
Vacancy Number 2024-142A5 (Location = St. Lawrence County)
Vacancy Number 2024-165A4 (Location = Steuben County/Southern Tier)
Qualified submissions will be considered for all available vacancies. As a public employer, we fall under the jurisdiction of Albany County Civil Service. This terrific opportunity would be a provisional appointment under the title “Public Information Specialist (BOCES)”.
For more details on this role contact:
Debi Colwell, Recruitment & Retention Specialist at 518-862-4908 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we invite you to view our policy, go to our website at https://www.capitalregionboces.org/employment/