Not every student makes it through high school.
In fact, only 77 percent of students statewide complete high school according to U.S. Department of Education statistics. For those who do not, job prospects are often bleak. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said that Americans without a high school diploma have a significantly higher unemployment rate than those who have a high school diploma. Even those who find a job face hardships. In 2016, a worker without a high school degree earned an average of $504 weekly compared to $692 per week for those with a high school diploma.
That’s where we can help.
We can provide the education you need to prepare for the state’s high school equivalency exam, and, eventually, earn a diploma.
Classes open to students 17 years or older who lack a high school diploma and have left school.
Instruction is done by a certified teacher who works with students to overcome their challenges so they can successfully pass the exam.
The curriculum focuses on preparing students in five subjects—reading, writing, social studies, science, and math.
The Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) replaced the GED years ago as the only free, state-subsidized exam leading to a New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma.
- Call 518-862-4707 or 518-694-4568 to sign-up for a registration session.
- Go to your scheduled registration session. The session will last approximately 4-5 hours.
- Bring your photo identification and Social Security Card. Participants must be 17 years or older.
- During the session, you’ll receive and complete the required paperwork. (Individual student record form, release of information form, American with Disabilities Act form, and student agreement form)
- Take the Test for Assessing Basic Education (TABE) in math and reading.
- Once the exam is complete, it will be graded and you will select a class to attend based on your needs, the location and time that works best for you.
Home Study Option
Giving Ready Adults a Study Program (GRASP)
A free home study program is available for the more advanced student, age 21 and older who cannot attend a traditional class. Individualized packets of instruction are delivered to the student’s home every two weeks.
Call 518-862-4707 or 518-694-4568 to sign-up for a registration session.