Level: Elementary and Middle School (center-based programs)
Recommended Ratio: Elementary and Middle School (K-8) 4:1:2
Students in this program:
- have one or more mental health diagnoses and may have experienced frequent psychiatric hospitalizations.
- usually have a significant history of trauma.
- present with significant difficulty with self-regulation.
- demonstrate significant difficulty establishing and maintaining relationships and significant difficulty with adult authority and classroom routines.
- have difficulty with transitions and have significant delays in social emotional development.
- may exhibit aggressive and/or explosive behavior.
- struggle academically because of their unavailability for learning due to their mental health needs.
- ultimately they could be working toward a Regents diploma or Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS).
- benefit from frequent pre-sets and changes in activities.
- require an intensive staff ratio in a highly structured classroom environment.