This service provides training, consultation services, technical assistance and leadership to help schools create and maintain an educational environment that is a model for workplace safety and best practices. Our staff is specially trained to help superintendents, building principals, school nurses, classroom teachers and facilities staff develop proactive approaches to health and safety.
Direct Assistance to Schools
We work directly with school districts to handle matters of compliance with regulatory agencies’ requirements; and develop a comprehensive school safety program that minimizes hazards and unsafe practices and is integrated with their daily operations.
- Regulatory inspection walk-throughs with Department of Health, Department of Labor, Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Mandated trainings tailored to district needs; online or in-person for small and large groups.
- Annual review and update of written programs.
- Compliance with new regulations.
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) compliance, asbestos audit preparation, asbestos inspections and management plan review.
- Identification of safe and cost-effective chemical disposal methods.
- Rebuilding Our Schools to Uphold Education (RESCUE), including work with safety committees, five-year building condition survey, and New York State Education Department reporting.
- Fire safety inspections.
- Indoor air quality on-site evaluation and follow-up.
- Conduct and/or arrange with appropriate certified professionals to conduct sampling for air and surface (asbestos, lead, PCBs, radon and more); water (bacterial, chemical, metals etc.); and soil (pesticides, lead, radon).
Participating districts also receive newsletters and workshop opportunities that keep their staff informed about important and emerging school related health, safety and risk management issues and trends.
Range of Services Offered
Programs and assistance are available in the following areas:
- AED (Defibrillator) Compliance & Coordination of Training
- Art, Science, and Technology Classroom Safety
- Asbestos and AHERA
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Chemical Safety and Disposal
- Emergency Management Plans, Training and Drills
- Fire and Building Code Compliance
- Lead Poisoning Prevention and Compliance
- New York State Pollutant Discharge Elimination (SPDES)
- OSHA/PESH Compliance
- Pesticide Use and Notifications
- Petroleum Bulk Storage Tanks
- Playground Safety Inspections and Training
- RESCUE Compliance
- Respirator Use and Training
- Right-to-Know/Hazard Communication
- Safety Committees
- Transportation Safety
- Water Quality