For more than a decade, the Capital Region BOCES Engagement & Development Services has worked with school districts, BOCES, municipal and non-profit clients throughout New York State, winning more than $100 million in grants. Our team of grants professionals work together to ensure all clients get the strongest funder research, application writing and grants strategic advice for every funding need, whether it be a project that benefits one classroom or an entire city. Our five guiding commitments of Service, Value, Excellence, Improvement and Leadership support our organization’s mission and purpose.
What you will do:
Each grant writer directly manages clients, either solo or with another writer, and is responsible for finding and writing grant applications that meet those clients’ priority needs.
You’ll do this by:
● Meeting with your clients to determine their priority areas for funding (typically for the coming year).
● Conducting research to find funders that may pay for the client’s priority needs. We have our own database that we use primarily for this work and also subscribe to other databases.
● Creating a strategy for pursuing grant opportunities that are best fit and most likely to receive awards from funders.
● Writing applications for a variety of funders, from small local or regional funders to state and federal funders. This includes writing narratives and budgets, completing forms and packaging and submitting the complete application.
Why this is a great job:
You will make a difference! Our grants have funded such priorities as creating new prekindergarten classes for the neediest three- and four-year-olds, purchasing breathing apparatus to keep firefighters safe and providing computer coding training for adults who need to find employment. While it is exciting to win money (even if we don’t get to keep any of it!) it is thrilling to help our clients meet their biggest needs and to know our work is doing good in the community.
The Grants Team is also a strong unit of professionals who work together daily to juggle multiple grant deadlines and to constantly raise the level of our work. When asked in an anonymous survey, team members consistently rate the team culture positively, naming the Grants Service as a great place to work with supportive managers and a focus on excellence. To quote one employee, “My team is awesome!”
Extensive training is provided for all staff, including a mentor and grants basics training for all new writers. For more experienced writers, a career ladder allows for advancement into assistant manager, manager and administrator roles.
Other benefits you will receive:
● Telework option, for up to 80% of your schedule (up to four days per week for a full-time employee).
● Health insurance; individual or family options available where BOCES pays 77% of the annual premium.
● Extremely generous paid time off, including 14 paid holidays, four weeks of vacation and an annual bank of sick/personal time.
● Membership in a public, pension-based retirement system.
What you bring to our team:
● Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience in grant writing, grant management, grant application review, economic development, marketing, communications or public policy development OR an associate degree and two years of experience in the areas listed above.
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
● Ability to juggle multiple assignments simultaneously.
● Excellent customer service skills and an ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
● Desire to be part of a hard-working and positive team.
Where you can apply:
To apply, click the link below (please pay attention to the job location and indicate if you are willing to relocate). Once you create your RecruitFront profile, be sure to submit your official application by clicking the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the job posting.
Qualified submissions will be considered for all available vacancies. As a public employer, we fall under the jurisdiction of Albany County Civil Service. This terrific opportunity would be a provisional appointment under the title “Grant Writer”.
Debi Colwell, Recruitment & Retention Specialist at 518-862-4908 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we invite you to view our policy, go to our website at https://www.capitalregionboces.org/employment/