Senior Network & Systems Technician
Northeastern Regional Information Center - 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road
Incumbent in this class participates in the design, installation and maintenance of personal computers, local and wide area networks and the associated peripheral equipment. Incumbent has the responsibility for participating in the identification and correction of network and system problems. Incumbent is also involved in the receipt and distribution of new computer equipment. This class differs from the Network and Systems Technician in that the Senior level performs more difficult and technical work, and may act as the lead worker on technical projects. Incumbent performs duties normal business hours or during the night and weekend as required. Work is performed under the general direction of the appropriate BOCES manager. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college or university with at least a Bachelor’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology, or a closely related field and two (2) years of full-time, paid experience in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computer systems and networks of which one (1) year was in a team leader/project leader capacity; OR,
B. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology, or a closely related field and three (3) years of full-time, paid experience in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computer systems and networks of which one (1) year was in a team leader/project leader capacity; OR,
C. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four (4) years of full-time, paid experience in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computer systems and networks of which one (1) year was in a team leader/project leader capacity.
PROMOTIONAL: Immediately preceding the date of the examination, twenty-four (24) months permanent competitive class status as a Network and Systems Technician in the agency where the vacancy or anticipated vacancy exists.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Installation and maintenance of personal computers and networks including all peripheral equipment.
2. Installation of wiring and fiber optic cables.
3. Installation and configuration of file servers, print servers, communications servers, network switches, personal computers and printers (network and desktop).
4. Diagnosing computer and network problems on-site or by assisting help desk staff with user telephone consultations.
5. Working with vendors to configure and troubleshoot routers, circuit problems, and various county used third party software applications.
6. Upgrading of computers and peripheral equipment.
7. Testing of wiring.
8. Creation of user accounts and access permissions.
9. Receipt and distribution of new computer equipment.
10. Maintains county software library.
11. Tests new operating systems and software titles for interoperability and functionality with existing systems and software.
12. Attends seminars and technical education classes to keep abreast of current trends in information technology.
13. Approves the use of accrued time by subordinate staff.
14. Good knowledge of modern personal computers and local and wide area networks.
15. Good knowledge of installation procedures relating to personal computers, local and wide area networks, peripheral equipment and software.
16. Ability to install office computer systems and networks.
17. Ability to evaluate equipment configuration requirements.
18. Ability to diagnose computer systems and networks problems and assist in their resolution.
19. Ability to plan, direct and the work of other when acting as a lead worker on technical projects.
20. Ability to direct users in system and network use.
21. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
22. Ability to read and understand technical manuals.
23. Ability to maintain accurate records.
24. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
February 10, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$49,043 – $65,877 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
January 13, 2023