School Security Officer (10M/FT)
Career & Technical Education - Albany Campus
The School Security Officer is responsible for providing daily security for the school building and property and assists in maintaining the safety and security of students, staff, building and grounds. This position patrols school property and alerts Administration of all safety and security concerns. The School Security Officer responds to emergencies, intervenes in interpersonal conflicts, and directs students and staff in crisis situations. The School Security Officer must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignments without direct supervision. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from high school and three (3) years of experience in security work and/or police work.
1. Eligibility to be registered as a Security Guard/Officer issued by New York State Department of State. At time of appointment and maintained throughout employment, possession of unique security ID # issued by New York State Division of Licensing Services. Waiver of this requirement for active or retired police officers.
2. At time of appointment and maintained throughout employment, possession of valid New York State motor vehicle license.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
- Patrols and monitors school buildings and grounds to assist in maintaining the safety and security of the students and campus.
- Fosters an optimal learning environment and acts as a deterrent to unsafe or poor behavior by providing high visibility throughout the school.
- Establishes and maintains good rapport with students, staff and community members.
- Assists in smooth traffic flow of students through the hallways, assisting students with on-time arrival to class and to assigned locations.
- Maintains the orderly flow of automobile traffic in the parking lot and campus roadways.
- Monitors students during lunch hour inside and outside of the building.
- Assists in the removal of disruptive students from classes when needed.
- Monitors security cameras to oversee the safety and security of students, staff and school assets.
- Assists visitors and checks for visitor passes.
- Challenges unauthorized visitors and escorts them to exits.
- Assists school administration and police in the investigation of illegal activity within the school.
- Assists school administration, staff and students during crisis situations, including emergency drills.
- Reports and disciplines infractions, unauthorized visitors and acts of vandalism to the Principal.
- Notifies the building administration, police and/or appropriate emergency personnel of any emergency, potentially dangerous or unusual situations.
- Notifies immediately appropriate personnel of evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol and/or controlled substances.
- Participates in appropriate in-service and workshop programs.
- Compiles information and prepares professional reports.
- Promotes student responsibility for behavior and attitude by serving as a role model and dressing and grooming professionally.
- Protects confidentiality of records and information and uses discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines.
- Establishes and maintains working relationship with state and local emergency responders.
- Assists in development and implementation of the school safety plans.
- Participates on the school student support team.
- Performs any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by their supervisor, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
- Good knowledge of safety in operation of motor vehicle.
- Good knowledge of universal hygiene precautions.
- Good knowledge of basic first aid and CPR training.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good understanding of basic operating knowledge of two-way radios.
- Ability to work under stressful situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school staff, students and the public.
- Ability to display ethical and professional behavior.
- Ability to apply good judgment when dealing with angry, hostile or uncooperative individuals.
- Ability to maintain and project professional appearance as it relates to job performance.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in outside in hot and cold temperatures.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible (M-F 7:45 AM - 1:45 PM)
February 3, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$17.29 – $24.13 per hour
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
January 6, 2023