School Registered Nurse (10M Position)
Career & Technical Education - Schoharie Campus
These duties involve responsibility for assisting the physician in providing medical services to school children. Incumbent in this class provides emergency first aid for the staff and students. The work is performed under the supervision of the higher level administrator. Does related work as required.
Graduation from a school of nursing approved by the New York State Education Department from a course approved by such Department as qualifying for Registered Professional Nurse.
Eligibility for a license issued by the State of New York to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse. Possession of the license at the time of appointment. Eligibility for and possession of a CPR Certification at the time of appointment.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Provides emergency first aide services for the students and staff.
2. Responsible for scheduling and performing vision, hearing screenings, and scoliosis checks.
3. Consults with parents and physicians and dispenses medications as prescribed by the physician.
4. Assists students in the administration of inhalation therapy and insulin injections as prescribed.
5. Assists the school physician in performing class screening and interscholastic athletics physical examinations.
6. Submits accident reports on students and employees and provides follow-up with parents and/or employees.
7. Participates as a member of management team of professionals addressing the issues of health and safety as they relate to students and staff.
8. Assists the faculty and staff with the reporting of sexual and physical abuse cases.
9. Serves on various student and management teams representing the medical profession with concerns for health and safety.
10. Prepares the health office budget and maintains an inventory of supplies.
11. Keeps and maintains complete and accurate health records.
12. Good knowledge of the nursing principles and techniques and their relation to medical and surgical practices and skill in their application.
13. Skill in the use of nursing techniques and practices.
14. Ability to understand and follow technical oral and written instructions.
15. Ability to keep and maintain records and reports.
16. Ability to get along with children.
17. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with teachers and the general public.
18. Conscientiousness and thoroughness.
20. Good powers of observation.
22. Mental alertness.
23. Good moral character.
24. Good physical condition.
As soon as possible
November 27, 2020 (or until position is filled)
$26.10 per hour – $27.69 per hour
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
November 6, 2020