Public Information Specialist or Trainee (.60 FTE to 1.0 FTE)(3 Positions)
Management Services - 900 Watervliet Shaker Road
This is professional public relations work with responsibility for developing and implementing a program of planned and strategic two-way communication, which also includes publicizing and distributing information about school district or BOCES news, events, programs, services and facilities. Employees in this class maintain close contact and cooperate with policy-making officials, school staff, local media representatives and the public. Work is performed independently in accordance with established policies and practices. Supervision of program projects and activities may be required. Does related work as required.
TRAINEE LEVEL: Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Master’s degree in Communications or Journalism.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of paid experience in journalism, news/feature/commentary writing, public relations or communications; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree and four (4) years of paid experience in journalism, news/feature/commentary writing, public relations or communications.
NOTE: Following successful completion of a one-year probationary period/traineeship, individuals with permanent competitive class status as Public Information Specialist Trainee (BOCES) mature to Public Information Specialist (BOCES) without further examination.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Works closely with school district and/or BOCES administrators and staff to assess communications needs, opportunities and strategies;
2. Plans, develops and produces a wide-range of communications strategies and materials for both internal and external audiences, including but not limited to newsletters, brochures, press releases, news articles, fact sheets, presentations, special reports etc.;
3. Assists in analyzing and explaining school district budgets, student testing and achievement data and/or other complex information related to school programs, policies and operations;
4. Attends meetings and maintains records of information released.
5. Good knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism and public relations;
6. Good knowledge of appropriate media sources for dissemination of information;
7. Good knowledge of English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar;
8. Ability to read, interpret, analyze and summarize complex written documents;
9. Ability to acquire a knowledge of school district operations and complex educational issues;
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
11. Ability to express oneself effectively in both oral or written form;
12. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
October 1, 2021 (or until positions are filled)
46,569 full time, prorated to the amount of service rendered for the Public Information Specialist.
$34,822 – $40,045 full time, prorated to the amount of service rendered for the Trainee
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
September 3, 2021