Municipal Safety Coordinator
Management Services – 900 Watervliet Shaker Road & Various other locations
The work involves transitional administration, assessment and implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Service (OHSS) for Municipalities project funded by the Department of State and will create the processes and procedures for bringing municipalities into the OHSS. The work will conduct needs assessments with municipalities to learn how the OHSS can tailor its offerings to meet municipal needs. The work involves responsibility for advising, training and providing technical assistance to municipalities on matters related to compliance with federal, state and local regulations affecting occupational health and safety and the environment. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Managing Program Coordinator I (Health, Safety and Risk) with some latitude for planning and administering the work. The incumbent exercises no supervision, but may lead the work on various projects, as needed. Does related work as required.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Public Health, Occupational Health & Safety, Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, “Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity” or a closely related field, and three (3) years of experience in health, safety and risk management training, coordination or compliance, one (1) year of which was in a team leader/project leader capacity; OR,
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s degree in one of the academic areas as stated in (A) or a closely related field, and five (5) years of experience as stated in (A), one (1) year of which was in a team leader/project leader capacity.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Reviews current municipality safety programs and provides safety program needs assessment for municipalities.
2. Oversees an EHS software platform that will allow BOCES and municipalities to manage data and other information related to injuries and incidents, safety audits and trainings. Facilitates the integration of this software into the service’s work and coordinates BOCES staff training on the software.
3. Advises municipality administration and employees on matters related to compliance with various regulatory agencies such as the: Environmental Protection Agency, Occupational Safety and Health Agency, New York State Department of Labor, New York State Department of Health, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and New York State Occupational Safety and Health Agency.
4. Conducts training workshops and provides hazard assessments for municipality personnel on health, safety and risk management topics such as: Right-to-Know, Hazard Communications, Blood-borne Pathogens, Emergency Preparedness, Lockout/Tagout, Respiratory Use, Personal Protective Equipment, Ergonomics, Asbestos Awareness, etc.
5. Oversees the purchase of equipment that staff will need to complete safety inspections.
6. Develops trainings for BOCES staff on topics specific to municipalities’ needs.
7. Assists Capital Region BOCES with the launch of an outreach and advertising campaign to promote this program and its potential cost savings to municipalities.
8. Manages workload in order to provide on-site and/or centralized service to one or more municipalities on a day-to-day basis.
9. Develops and maintains long lasting working relationships with various municipalities and local governments.
10. Provides educational and technical support to the municipality during regulatory inspections.
11. Provides technical assistance to municipalities regarding compliance with asbestos regulations.
12. Operates a variety of testing equipment and devices in municipality buildings.
13. Organizes and/or leads municipal safety committee meetings.
14. Performs related duties, as required.
15. Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local rules and regulations pertaining to hazardous materials, safety, personal protective equipment and other OSHA/public safety and health regulations related to municipal environments.
16. Thorough knowledge of asbestos and other hazardous material handling and containment procedures.
17. Good knowledge of state and federal agencies which govern safety and hazards.
18. Good knowledge of safety testing equipment and proper use of protective gear.
19. Ability to prepare and conduct training sessions and meetings.
20. Ability to maintain and acquire new knowledge of safety and health regulations.
21. Ability to assess safety hazards and the need for training.
22. Ability to work closely with municipality personnel to assess safety hazards and the need for training in these areas.
23. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
24. Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet and databases.
25. Ability to lead the work of others, as needed
26. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
27. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
June 16, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$65,877 – $81,080 prorated to amount of service rendered
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
May 19, 2023