Literacy Zone Case Manager
Career & Technical Education - Adult Education Program @ 20 Warren Street (Capital South Campus Center)
These duties involve the responsibility in providing sound counseling and assistance which connect adult participants and their families to pathways out of poverty. Incumbent in this position establishes links with vocational/educational service providers in the local community and refers students for these services. Case management in the Literacy Zone should provide referral to address participants’ specific needs including, but not limited to, transition to employment, post-secondary education or training, apprenticeship programming, access to benefits, physical and mental health, legal services, financial services, and housing. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Adult Education Program Manager. Supervision is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master’s degree in Vocational Rehabilitation or Guidance, Education, Psychology or Workforce Education and Career Development; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education, Psychology, Sociology or a closely related field and one (1) year of experience in vocational rehabilitation counseling, adult case management or literacy or adult education programming.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must possess and maintain a valid NYS driver’s license.
(Please note that some evening hours will be required to meet with students and teachers.)
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Conducts a comprehensive literacy and educational/vocational assessment to develop a plan of services to meet these needs.
2. Identifies postsecondary transition programs and assists out-of-school youth and adults to obtain a NYS High School Equivalency diploma and succeed in postsecondary education, apprenticeship programs or training.
3. Communicates effectively and collaborates with BOCES HSE & English as a Second Language teachers to ascertain barriers that specific students may be experiencing that prevent them from meeting their educational/vocational goals.
4. Assists adult education students with workforce development programs, including apprenticeship, adult Career and Technical Education/workforce training and career pathways including career exploration using NYSED/CUNY CareerKits.
5. Collaborates with and refers adult education students to various community partners for wrap around services including health literacy, financial literacy, family literacy, school engagement and more.
6. Assists and supports adult education students in employability and life coping skills such as job searches, resume writing and job interviewing skills to enable them to become self-sufficient.
7. Researches and refers adult education students to pathways to citizenship and English language proficiency for limited English language adults.
8. Researches and assists students in acquiring related supportive services such as one-stop career counseling, transportation, public assistance and childcare.
9. Refers adult education students to programs that enable out-of-school youth and adults who are receiving public assistance, or families with incomes 200% below the poverty level, to obtain and retain employment.
10. Prepares a variety of records and reports related to adult education students and program activities and outcomes.
11. Refers adults education students to transition programs for youth and adults returning to the community from incarceration.
12. Supports individuals with disabilities and their families.
13. Supports mature workers and senior citizens to enable them to stay out of poverty.
14. Provides transition support for returning veterans and their families, including disabled veterans.
15. Good knowledge of vocational career ladders and attainment skills.
16. Good knowledge of federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations applicable to Adult Education.
17. Good knowledge of labor market trends and requirements and the skills, abilities and experiences required in a wide variety of occupations.
18. Good knowledge of the available educational, training and employment resources.
19. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
20. Ability to work effectively with both professional and non-professional personnel.
21. Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
22. Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
23. Initiative and resourcefulness. tact and courtesy.
24. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible. (Please note that some evening hours will be required to meet with students and teachers.)
June 16, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$45,000 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
May 19, 2023