Legal Intern II (Temporary)
Central Administration – 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road
A Legal Intern II (BOCES) undertakes a variety of projects under the direct supervision of the School Attorney and Legal Counsel of the Capital Region BOCES. These projects include, but are not limited to, vendor contract review/data entry, policy review processes, research and collection of data, preparation of legal documents and student disciplinary hearings. Projects carried out by persons in this position are part of the regular routine of the department and are of an in-service training nature designed to provide maximum exposure to experience in a designated field. Legal Intern II (BOCES) positions provide an on-the-job training situation through work-based learning in education law. Supervision is not a responsibility of this position. Does related work as required.
A. Current enrollment at a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the American Bar Association with completion of at least fifty (50) credits in a Juris Doctor degree program.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Specific duties of each project will vary as they relate to the current objectives of the School Attorney and Legal Counsel at Capital Region BOCES.
2. Serves as designated hearing officer in Education Law § 3214 student disciplinary hearings.
3. Performs related duties as required.
4. Ability to learn the principles and practices of education law, policy, and contract review.
5. Ability to learn sources of information and legal/policy developments in the field of education law.
6. Ability to learn administrative hearing procedures.
7. Ability to learn about the organization of a BOCES.
8. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
10. Ability to carry out project assignments of a broadly defined nature.
11. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible (Temporary thru 6/30/24)
December 8, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$40.00 per hour (PT hours will vary as needed)
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
In addition, please upload a copy of your transcript with your resume.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email https://capitalregionboces.recruitfront.com/JobOpportunities
November 9, 2023