Information Security Manager #2021-184
Northeastern Regional Information Center - 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road
The work involves responsibility for supervising, coordinating and reporting on information security systems architecture related work which includes infrastructure design and maintenance, complex data storage, access and use requirements for established and requested computer applications, and database structures to meet these needs in a Capital Region BOCES/ Northeastern Regional Information Center (NERIC) Data & Network Operations Center. Employees in this classification are tasked with assisting administration with internal investigations. This class differs from that of a Senior Information Security Analyst by virtue of the fact that the Information Security Manager may exercise supervision over others, conducts special project or is engaged in the architecture and maintenance of advanced systems for the BOCES and component school districts. Work is performed under the general supervision of a BOCES Supervisor. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s degree in information security, information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology or a closely related field, and six (6) years of work experience in information technology, which included, or was closely related to, two of the eight domains of information security1; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s degree in information security, information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology or a closely related field, and eight (8) years of work experience in information technology, six (6) years of which included, or was closely related to, two of the eight domains of information security1.
PROMOTIONAL: Twenty-four (24) months of permanent competitive class status as a Managing Program Coordinator I (Network Services) or (Systems Architecture) with the BOCES or a combination thereof OR twenty-four months of permanent competitive class status as a Senior Information Security Analyst.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Manages the information and security for the Data & Network Operations Center of the Regional Information Center.
2. Supervises and trains information security personnel.
3. Recommends for change or modification of systems/applications related to information security.
4. Recommends and implements strategic systems architecture plans for the BOCES and school districts.
5. Researches new systems architecture standards to apprise and identify future technology needs of the BOCES and component school districts.
6. Manages Security Team role in privacy breach incident handling.
7. Establishes standards, and audits usage to ensure compliance with established standards.
8. Assists in the preparation of competitive bid specifications by providing hardware, software, service and staff development requirements.
9. Regularly reports to the BOCES Leadership, Office of Chief Information Security, and Board of Education on the state of information and security systems and compliance.
10. Recommends information and security policy changes for the BOCES, BOCES Leadership, Office of Chief Information Security, and the Board of Education.
11. Assists in the development of long-term strategic planning for implementation of new systems architecture, maintenance and replacement of existing equipment and technology and other associated tools.
12. Designs and coordinates the implementation of both strategic and tactical infrastructures suitable for applications in a multi-activity environment.
13. Coordinates the design and review of the security posture of both new systems, including systems in the cloud, and proposed or requested changes to existing systems/applications, which may affect the Data & Network Operations Center.
14. Monitors systems for usage, response, and potential restructuring.
15. Audits and advises back-up, recovery and business continuity activities.
16. Develops and maintains vendor partnerships.
17. Provides Information Security budget recommendations to BOCES Leadership for the Data & Network Operations Center.
18. Supports internal investigations by monitoring, retrieving data and reports relating to employees charged with misconduct.
19. Thorough knowledge of a data & network operations center, infrastructure, systems management, structures and techniques.
20. Thorough knowledge of the current Information Security common body of knowledge, and related security standards.
21. Thorough knowledge of electronic data processing hardware and software, their capabilities and application.
22. Good knowledge of electronic data processing systems, principles, practices and procedures of systems and applications programming.
23. Good knowledge of current literature, sources of information and technological developments in the field of information security and systems architecture.
24. Good knowledge of the application of NIST information security guidelines and procedures.
25. Working knowledge of information security compliance domains such as: FERPA, ED1, FOIL, and Education Law 2D; along with a working knowledge of the information security and privacy domains related to the normal operation of the NERIC.
26. Working knowledge of budget preparation and the BOCES budgetary process.
27. Ability to analyze systems requirements of a variety of applications and to design appropriate infrastructures.
28. Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and diagrams relative to systems architecture.
29. Ability to direct and review the work of others.
30. Ability to prepare written and oral reports.
31. Ability to accurately convey both written and verbal directions.
32. Ability to form and maintain effective working relationships.
33. Ability to exercise independent judgment.
34. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
May 3, 2021
April 16, 2021
$105,000 – $115,000 prorated to amount of service rendered
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
April 2, 2021