Finance Analyst (NERIC)
Northeastern Regional Information Center - 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road
Incumbent in this class is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring accounting and fiscal management functions for the NERIC division of Capital Region BOCES. The incumbent in this position analyzes and monitors division funds, grants and expenditures, develops accounting practices, furnishes periodic financial reports and oversees financial activities within the division. The work is performed under the supervision of a higher-level administrator with leeway for the exercise of independent judgement in carrying out details of the work. Supervision is not a responsibility of this position. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with at least a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration or closely related field, and one (1) year of paid experience in financial administration, budget analysis, accounting or the preparation of budget and financial reports; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two-year college with an Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration or closely related field, and three (3) years of paid experience in financial administration, budget analysis, accounting or the preparation of budget and financial reports.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Prepares and monitors the annual budget of the division, makes adjustments as required.
2. Maintains ledger and journal accounts and balances.
3. Assists administration in the preparation of NERIC’s annual operating budget and application for grants by compiling and analyzing financial data.
4. Prepares periodic fiscal and statistical statements and reports for use by the division or submission to State and Federal agencies.
5. Prepares financial reports required by State laws and local rules detailing claims and expenditures.
6. Performs cost and budget analyses, financial forecasting, feasibility studies and other financial tasks to aid division efficiency and effectiveness.
7. Uses various systems to make financial inquiries, maintain records and conduct financial analyses.
8. Consults with administration on current fiscal reporting requirement and control of expenditures.
9. Develops, revises and implements financial systems and practices to provide complete and accurate accounting for the financial transactions of the division.
10. Coordinates purchases for the division, verifies funds are available from appropriate accounts, prepares requisitions and maintains list of approved suppliers.
11. Performs other duties, as required.
12. Thorough knowledge of the modern principles, practices and terminology of finance and accounting.
13. Thorough knowledge of financial administration, including budgeting, purchasing and reporting.
14. Good knowledge of effective governmental budget principles and practices.
15. Good knowledge of local and state rules and regulations concerning maintenance of fiscal records.
16. Good knowledge of business arithmetic.
17. Good knowledge of modern office terminology, procedures, equipment and business English.
18. Ability to develop and maintain financial systems.
19. Ability to prepare and analyze complex financial records, reports and statements.
20. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
21. Ability to utilize various common office software programs.
22. Ability to gather, analyze and summarize statistical data and information.
23. Ability to perform close, detailed work involving considerable visual effort and concentration.
24. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
November 27, 2020 (or until position is filled)
$63,000 – $71,000 prorated to amount of service rendered
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
October 30, 2020