Director of Transportation (BOCES)
Niskayuna Central School District (bus garage located at 1301 Hillside Road)
This is an administrative position involving the responsibility for the safety and efficient operation and maintenance of a shared transportation program(s) of the BOCES. The work is performed under direction of a designated BOCES supervisor. Supervision is exercised over all transportation personnel. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two-year college with at least an Associate’s degree and five (5) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment, operation of multiple passenger vehicles or dispatching of motor equipment, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR,
B. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and seven (7) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment, operation of a multiple passenger vehicle or dispatching of motor equipment, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Plans, directs and manages a shared transportation program(s).
2. Directs service, maintenance and repairs of shared transportation program(s) vehicles.
3. Establishes routes to be followed by bus drivers.
4. Establishes time schedules for buses.
5. Plans and administers the shared transportation budgets for the program(s).
6. Plans, develops and implements an effective bus safety program(s).
7. Maintains time records on transportation personnel for payroll purposes.
8. Maintains cost records on transportation operations and personnel.
9. Acts as liaison between school administrators and parents concerning transportation problems and issues.
10. Arranges for all special trips required by the schools participating in the shared program(s).
11. Prepares all required New York State Education and Department of Transportation reports and maintains bus driver credentials.
12. Approves all purchase orders and requisitions.
13. Is responsible for recruiting, interviewing and recommending and training.
14. Is responsible for the evaluation of and following-up on disciplinary procedures for all transportation personnel.
15. Investigates and files reports on all bus accidents.
16. May represent and negotiate with employee on contract negotiations.
17. Writes specifications for all new vehicles and equipment.
18. Drafts all specifications for contract transportation.
19. Thorough knowledge of standard transportation methods and the operation of buses.
20. Thorough knowledge of automotive repair methods and the terminology and tools of the trade.
21. Good knowledge of modern budget methods and techniques.
22. Good knowledge of driving safety practices.
23. Good knowledge of New York State Motor Vehicle Laws and applicable regulations of the New York State Transportation Department.
24. Ability to plan and direct the work of subordinates.
25. Ability to keep records and make reports.
26. Ability to get along with others.
28. Good physical condition.
29. Ability to deal effectively with the public.
As soon as possible
March 22, 2019
$92,451 – $113,786 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
include letter of interest and resume
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES
900 Watervliet-Shaker Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
March 8, 2019