Cook Manager I (anticipated opening)(FT/10M)
Management Services - Shared Food Service Program - Germantown
This work involves the preparation and cooking of food on a large scale and the supervision of the food preparation staff in an institution or facility with a large population. The work is performed under the general supervision of a superintendent or dietary manager. Supervision is exercised over the cooks, assistant cooks and food service helpers. Does related work as required.
A. Four (4) years of experience in the preparation of food on a large scale; OR,
B. Possession of a high school diploma or GED and two (2) years of experience in the preparation of food on a large scale; OR,
C. Possession of an Associate’s Degree or the completion of six (60) college credits in food management, food preparation, food science, or food service administration or related field.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Supervises and participates in the preparation of and serving of food.
2. Supervises the storage and care of food and supplies.
3. Supervises and participates in the cleaning of the kitchen and care of the equipment.
4. Keeps records of food and supplies received and used.
5. Keeps employee time records.
6. Plans work schedules.
7. Plans menus with attention to nutritional value, acceptability and budgetary limitations.
8. Determines requirements and submits requisitions for food and supplies.
9. Good knowledge of the principals and practices of large quantity food preparation.
10. Good knowledge of menu planning.
11. Good knowledge of the purchasing of food in large quantities and the sanitary handling and storage of such food.
12. Good knowledge of the fundamentals of nutrition principals and their applications to the health of clients.
13. Good knowledge of modern food preparation including the utensils, appliances and equipment used for such preparation.
14. Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
15. Ability to keep records and prepare reports.
16. Ability to get along well with other employees and the clientele of the facility.
17. Ability to accurately communicate verbal and written directions.
19. Good judgment.
21. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
February 17, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$19.16 per hour
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
January 20, 2023