Confidential Assistant to the School Attorney
Central Administration – 900 Watervliet Shaker Road
Performs responsible administrative work for the School Attorney at Capital Region BOCES. Incumbent in this class independently performs highly complex duties and administrative tasks supporting the work of the School Attorney. Incumbent will serve as the Confidential Assistant to the School Attorney, relieving them of administrative and business detail and resolving day-to-day operational problems. The work also will include responsibility for difficult secretarial tasks, with supervision by attorneys, which requires a general understanding of legal terms and departmental or agency rules, courtroom procedures and policies. The work calls for the frequent exercise in independent judgment in accordance with organizational policies, procedures, and practices and in conducting office activities. Employees in this class handle the more difficult assignments in the performance of their duties. The work is performed under the general supervision of the School Attorney with considerable leeway allowed for the use of independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited school of law with a Juris Doctor (JD) degree; OR,
B. Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in public administration, paralegal studies, legal studies, legal secretarial science or a closely related field and two (2) years of clerical or secretarial work experience in a school district, BOCES or public education system; OR,
C. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma four (4) years of clerical or secretarial work experience in a school district, BOCES or public education system.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Provides high level administrative support to the School Attorney where assignments call for the use of independent judgment in making decisions, based upon experience and in accordance with established laws, policies and procedures.
2. Prepares original documents for signature by the School Attorney, applying a knowledge of laws, departmental operations and regulations.
3. Compiles, proofreads and revises drafts of legal documents and reports.
4. Assists the School Attorney in scheduling meetings, preparing and distributing meeting materials and coordinating follow-up as needed.
5. Prepares reports and various departmental materials for board approval.
6. Maintains files and confidential records.
7. Receives, sorts and delivers mail received for the office, with attention to time sensitive documents.
8. Performs related duties, as required.
9. Thorough knowledge of administrative practices.
10. Thorough knowledge of office practices and procedures.
11. Thorough knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software.
12. Thorough knowledge of the principles of business English.
13. Good knowledge of the organization, functions, laws, policies and regulations of the office of the School Attorney and BOCES.
14. Good knowledge of school district operations.
15. Ability to handle routine administrative details independently, including the composition of letters, memoranda and statistical reports.
16. Ability to understand and interpret written material.
17. Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
18. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with the public, governmental/private agencies, and component school district administration and personnel.
19. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
April 7, 2023 (or until position is filled)
$50,000 – $55,000 prorated to amount of service rendered
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
March 10, 2023