Community Resource Liaison
Special Education - Airline Drive Academy
These duties involve the responsibility for working with parents/guardians of students in the Capital Region BOCES Special Education program by promoting their involvement and providing information, resources and/or direction. Incumbent will assist families in the educational development of their children to foster positive attendance, academics, behavior and health. The incumbent will provide related outreach, establishing links with service providers in the local community and referring students for these services. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Principal. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master’s degree in Special Education, Guidance/Counseling, Psychology, Sociology, or closely related field; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, Guidance/Counseling, Psychology, Sociology or a closely related field and two (2) years of experience working with special education programs and services.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Candidates must possess a valid New York State driver’s license at the time of appointment and must maintain such license throughout the tenure of employment.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Interviews students, families and educational teams to obtain background information to identify preliminary educational needs and develop a plan of services to meet these needs.
2. Facilitates communication between the school and the parents/guardians and serves as an informational resource to families on school programs, services and other matters.
3. Encourages parental/guardian involvement in school by working collaboratively with educational teams.
4. Provides outreach to assist in resolving student issues and problems in areas such as attendance, academics, behavior and health.
5. Conducts home visits for the purpose of monitoring concerns identified by the educational teams.
6. Develops and maintains relationships with community-based organizations, educational/service agencies and support services resources.
7. Refers students and families to the appropriate service providers in the community.
8. Organizes parent/family workshops and other activities as appropriate.
9. Provides follow-up and post-placement support services to students and families.
10. Prepares various records and reports related to students, program activities and outcomes.
11. Works with students, families and educational teams to set short- and long-range goals and provides resources to help students achieve the goals.
12. Performs related work, as required.
13. Good knowledge of principles and practices of a special education program.
14. Good knowledge of available community, family and educational support resources.
15. Good knowledge of interviewing and information gathering skills.
16. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
17. Ability to create and maintain accurate reports and records.
18. Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
19. Ability to effectively communicate with external contacts such as component districts and parents/guardians of students.
20. Tact and understanding.
21. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
January 4, 2021
December 4, 2020
$43,683 – $50,236 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
November 20, 2020