Clerk of the Works (.60 FTE)
Management Services - Multiple Locations
Incumbents of this position perform technical work involving the evaluation of building and structures under construction or renovation by private contractors for a BOCES or school district. The employee acts as the resident inspector of buildings being constructed, altered or repaired by outside contractors. Work emphasis is upon gaining compliance with legal requirements and prescribed specifications. Employees ordinarily work alone and are expected to make independent decisions requiring technical discretion and judgement. Supervision is exercised over building construction projects and related personnel as well as BOCES personnel. Work is subject to review by professional engineering personnel, through oral and written reports. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college with at least a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology or a closely related field and three (3) years of experience in building construction work, building repair or building mechanical maintenance work, two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR,
B. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college with an Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology or a closely related field and five (5) years of experience in building construction work, building repair or building mechanical maintenance work, two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR,
C. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and seven (7) years of experience in building construction work, building repair or building mechanical maintenance work, two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Inspects buildings and structures in the course of construction, alteration and repair for compliance with all federal, state and local requirements and approved plans and specifications.
2. Confers with contractor to ensure adherence to standards and specifications on behalf of districts.
3. Checks and coordinates with contractors regarding the testing and installation of materials and equipment as specified by the contracts. Reports deficiencies to Program Manager, architect and contractor.
4. Inspects carpentry, heating, plumbing, ventilation and electrical installations for compliance with specifications.
5. Acts as a liaison between architect and contractor on behalf of BOCES or the assigned school district.
6. Maintains familiarity with contract documents, architectural drawings and specifications of assigned projects.
7. Maintains records of all sampled materials, manpower, equipment and other physical features on a daily basis.
8. Provides reports on all on-site matters, including third party inspections, progress, safety concerns and causes for delay.
9. Prepares periodic reports for BOCES or assigned school district, as required.
10. Attends all job-site meetings as the District representative or in conjunction with the Program Manager.
11. Meets with BOCES/District Representative to discuss, assess and plan for program needs.
12. Reports orally and in writing to assigned Program Manager regarding program activities.
13. Works with the assigned Program Manager to develop and manage budget and service costs.
14. Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, materials and equipment common to building construction.
15. Good knowledge of applicable local, state and federal building codes, OSHA, NFPA, BOCA, Life Safety, hazardous materials and NYS Education Department regulations regarding school construction.
16. Good knowledge of the building trades.
17. Good knowledge of constructions materials, means and methods.
18. Working knowledge of building components and systems.
19. Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings, specifications, codes and other material pertinent to construction.
20. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with building contractors.
21. Ability to make skilled technical evaluations and to enforce regulations firmly, technically and impartially.
22. Ability to keep records and prepare reports.
23. Physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position.
February 1, 2021
January 22, 2021 (or until position is filled)
$54,813 – $82,123 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
January 8, 2021