Building Maintenance Mechanic
Career & Technical Education - Albany Campus
Performs a variety of semi-skilled building repair and maintenance tasks. This is semi-skilled work involving responsibility for independently performing a variety of mechanical and other building maintenance tasks or for serving as a helper to a journeyman tradesman. In either case, although a working knowledge of one or more trades is necessary, a maintenance mechanic does not utilize the more skilled journeyman techniques for any considerable portion of his time. In addition, the work may involve the part-time operation of a truck, automobile or other automotive equipment. General instructions are received and work is performed under immediate or general supervision, depending upon the nature of the task. Does related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Good knowledge of modern buildings and grounds maintenance and repair practices.
B. Working knowledge of one or more of the standard trades, mechanical aptitude, industry.
C. Good physical condition.
E. Manual dexterity.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Two (2) years of experience in either general building construction or maintenance work in one or more of the standard trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, or grounds keeping. Water Operators Certificate preferred.
Possession of a valid New York State Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Performs semi-skilled work in masonry, carpentry, electrical or painting operations.
2. Helps install and repair wiring systems and electric fixtures and equipment.
3. Repairs windows, doors, floors, walls and other parts of buildings.
4. Removes and replaces furniture.
5. Does interior and exterior painting where quantity rather than fine quality of work performed is the principal object.
6. Helps to install and repair general plumbing equipment, such as sinks, toilets and baths.
7. Assists in cleaning and repairing boilers, pumps, heaters, pipe lines, valves and traps.
8. Mixes plaster and concrete and assists in laying brick, plastering walls, finishing concrete work, etc.
9. Operates trucks, automobiles, air compressors, and other motorized equipment.
10. Takes part in general grounds maintenance activities.
11. Serves as general handyman performing a variety of semi-skilled duties.
12. Installs shelves and storage cabinets.
13. May participate in estimating time and materials required for assigned tasks.
14. Keeps simple records.
15. Cleans, checks, repairs and lubricates motors, chairs, etc.
16. On occasion, may be required to transport materials and equipment to other job locations.
17. May assist other trades and outside contractors in installation and construction as required.
18. Shovels snow and applies ice/snow removal products to surfaces.
As soon as possible
November 5, 2021 (or until position is filled)
$33,225 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email email@example.com
October 8, 2021