Attendance Clerk (12M)
Special Education – 900 Watervliet Shaker Road
The incumbent in this position maintains overall responsibility for the preparation and maintenance of attendance records in the various programs at Capital Region BOCES. Work activities result from the receipt of names of students absent or tardy from school. These records include daily absences, updates and summaries. Work is performed under the supervision of the BOCES administration official. Does related work as required.
A. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Prepares and makes available forms and procedures needed to maintain proper attendance records;
2. Monitors individual student absences and assists in determining legal absences from truancy;
3. Checks daily attendance reports for absentees;
4. Follows up with absentees or parents/guardians regarding cause of absenteeism or tardiness;
5. Maintains accurate records of communication attempts and notes in student management system regarding absenteeism and tardiness;
6. Receives communication from parents/guardians regarding causes of absence/tardiness;
7. Prepares absentee documentation to be sent to parents/guardians and component school districts;
8. Provides reports to BOCES administration and component school district regarding attendance records;
9. Prepares necessary attendance reports, including those needed at the end of each attendance period, semester and school year;
10. Works with administration to prepare and implement attendance and reporting procedures;
11. Other clerical duties as assigned.
12. Working knowledge of business arithmetic and English;
13. Working knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment;
14. Ability to operate a computer to enter, store and retrieve information and data;
15. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
16. Ability to communicate with parents/guardians and administration;
17. Ability to maintain accurate records;
18. Ability to get along well with others;
19. Clerical aptitude;
20. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
As soon as possible
January 10, 2020
$28,490 – $30,590 prorated to the amount of service rendered.
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES
900 Watervliet-Shaker Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
January 3, 2020