The following letter was sent on Aug. 24, 2020 by Director of Career and Technical Education Jeff Palmer to families/guardians of students attending our Career and Technical School programs for the 20-21 school year.
We are pleased to announce that Capital Region BOCES will be providing a hybrid instructional model, including in-person learning in our Career and Technical Education schools, Pathways, New Visions programs, and Capital Region P-TECH program this fall. Our administrators, maintenance workers, faculty and staff have been working tirelessly this summer to plan and prepare.
Classes for students in all of our programs will begin on Monday, Sept. 14. Please note that this is a change from our previously scheduled Sept. 8 start date.
Due to the fact that each home school district has had to create a hybrid schedule based on their unique needs, we have decided to not alter our schedules. We will welcome students to attend their Career and Technical Education, New Visions, and P-TECH programs daily as long as there is not a conflict with their home school schedule. Integrated academics for CTE will be delivered virtually using the Google Classroom platform and P-TECH college classes will also be delivered online.
In addition, we know that transporting students with social distancing requirements is going to be a strain on each district’s transportation department. As a result, we are encouraging students that can drive, to drive to our CTE campuses. A permission slip to register a student driver can be obtained by contacting the campus the student attends or visiting the website. Parents and/or guardians are also encouraged to drop off and pick up students.
While we can assure you that our plans for reopening school are based on all state and federal guidance, we realize you still may have questions or concerns about health, safety and instruction. At the Reopening Student and Family Resources page you will find answers to many of the questions you may have, including details about:
- Required daily health screening for all students—this must be completed by 7:15 a.m. each morning before students arrive at our schools/programs (steps to follow for students or parents/guardians on behalf of their child are listed on the informational flyer included with this message.)
- Wearing of face coverings—all students, staff and visitors are required to wear face coverings at all times at school. This does not apply to students who are medically unable to wear a face covering.
- Social distancing—in addition to face coverings, everyone in the school building/program will keep a social distance of 6-feet, as this is possible.
As a reminder, our campus schedules are as follows:
- Albany CTE: Session One 8:10 – 10:34 a.m., Session Two 11:10 a.m. – 1:34 p.m.
- Schoharie CTE: Session One 8:35 – 11:05 a.m., Session Two 11:55 a.m .- 2:25 p.m.
- Center for Advanced Technology @Mohonasen: Session One 8 – 10:30 a.m., Session Two 11:25 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Capital Region P-TECH: East Campus (Watervliet) 9:30 a.m.- 3 p.m., West Campus (Mohonasen) 7:38 a.m. – 2:11 p.m.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to our reopening team at email@example.com or your child’s principal with any questions you may have:
- Career and Technical School, Albany Campus and Pathways Academy, Principal Shelette Pleat, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518-862-4801
- Career and Technical School, Schoharie Campus, Principal Mindy Iannotti, email@example.com, 518-295-3000
- The Career and Technical School at the Center for Advanced Technology @Mohonasen and Capital Region P-TECH, West Campus, Principal Makensie Bullinger, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518-356-8461
- Capital Region P-TECH, East Campus, Principal Kurt Redman, email@example.com, 518-629-3331
We look forward to welcoming your child back to school on September 14! Please enjoy the last few days of summer.
Jeff Palmer, Director of Career and Technical Education