Trusted partner in public education and workforce development.
Who We Are
We are a non-profit governmental agency that uses the power of a cooperative to help school districts get access to high quality services at an affordable cost.
What We Do
When people think of BOCES, they tend to think only of academic programs. But we deliver more than 300 programs and services designed to support the entire educational process.
We serve 24 component school districts in Albany, Schenectady, Schoharie and Southern Saratoga counties. We also provide service to more than 150 school districts outside the Capital Region area.
We Help Students
Career & Technical Education
- We operate 40 programs divided among nine career clusters. Everything from Building Trades and Sterile Processing to Manufacturing & Machining and Culinary Arts & Hospitality. We serve 1,007 students at three BOCES-run centers and various satellite locations, such as the New York State Education Department and Ellis Hospital.
- We serve 506 students with unique needs at 21 locations, including three BOCES-run facilities and 18 district-housed programs.
Tech Valley High School
- Tech Valley High School (TVHS) is a regional public high school built on the principles of project-based learning and collaboration. Students engage in hands-on projects based in authentic applications of New York state learning standards.
We Support the Work of School Districts
Educational Support Services
- We provide programs to help districts raise student learning and achievement: regional test scoring, instructional coaching and resources, library services, technical assistance, training and support for educators and parents.
- In a geographic service area that covers 17 counties, the Northeastern Regional Information Center (NERIC) partners with seven BOCES to provide advanced technology services to more than 137 school districts. NERIC provides districts with a broad array of services that apply to multiple facets of district operations, such as instruction, student information, finances, human resources, security and test reporting.
- We provide programs to keep schools safe, business offices working efficiently and schools communicating with their many audiences.
We Partner with Business, Industry and Higher Education
- Strong business and education partnerships prepare students for the workplace of today and tomorrow.
- Work-based learning opportunities allow students to learn skills in a real world setting.
- A new innovative partnership will allow students to engage in hands-on, project-based learning for careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
How it Works
BOCES services are created when two or more school districts have similar needs that can be met by sharing staff members, classroom/office space, equipment, time or expertise.
Like public school systems, Capital Region BOCES is governed by a policy-making board of education. The 10 members of our board serve 3-year terms and are elected by component school district boards through a special vote held each April.